Pageviews last month

Friday, April 11, 2014

You and Me vs. You or Me




Disclaimer: As I thought about how to begin to write this piece, it occurred to me how upfront and almost brutal the topic was and still is to this day. Racial differences haven't calmed down throughout the years, they've just morphed with the social mentality in the various generations that this issue has been handed down from. When I attempted to peruse for some intellectual citations to include in my blog post, most of what I saw was very biased....so I'll conclude this prelude to my article and continue based upon what I have reviewed from the past few years when I've studied this topic.

 

When we're children, we inherently already know what we believe before exterior forces come into play within our conscious self. We obviously can tell who's different from us due to the plain and obvious fact that they look apart from us, but that's where the separation ends. Our straight forward innocence encourages us to form connections with other beings despite any differences in mentality, ethnicity, economic status, family relations, etcetera. It's the same with religion, extraterrestrial life, Santa Claus and the monsters under our bed.....children create an idea from raw emotion and their basis of truth. Not from a professor from Harvard or a highbrow member of Congress, or even from a pastor, but from what they see and hear and feel. Admit it, you never looked at a child of a different color and shied away just due to that fact. You played hide and seek, laughed, cried, fought with them like anyone else because they are just like you on the inside. It's only when we develop a little further and begin to listen to those that we surround ourselves with that we start to lose that capability to bond with other humans instinctively. And with that understanding, we can finally discover the culprit for the continuance of racism: our relatives. The sad truth is it is our parents and our grandparents that pass down their views when we're still psychological determining what we understand that contaminates our open-mindedness.

While the process of child development is so important, the racism displayed by the generation of those raising the upcoming adolescents feeds into the mental growth and blossoms into a continuation of racism in today's age. Anyone who believes otherwise isn't grasping the concept that psychology plays a formative role in our development as a person. We learn from those prior to us due to the fact that it's a natural phenomenon to replicate that which we have seen before. Now there are those that have overcome that hurdle, but it takes a large group of people that believe coherently in the same conviction to accomplish anything on a mass scale. When we have we have groups such as the National Black Child Development Institute stating that “we also know that on nearly every available measure, we can be confident that Black students are being taught by less qualified and less effective teachers over time [1],” then we have a lot of work ahead of us. Why you ask? When I looked for a National White Child Development Institute...you know what I found....nothing. Zilch. Why is this? Because we as a people still segregate ourselves. Hey I'll be honest, when people like Pastor Thomas Robb are stating things such as “ There is a race war against whites. But our people – my white brothers and sisters – will stay committed to a non-violent resolution. That resolution must consist of solidarity in white communities around the world. The hatred for our children and their future is growing and is being fueled every single day. Stay firm in your convictions [2],” then I have no use for single-minded Caucasians either. Orientals, Hispanics, Blacks, Whites....we all commit the same crime. We look at one trying to size one another up continuously attempting to retaliate for previous wrongs we believe the “other” has committed. We believe we're getting the short end of the stick. Which is the utmost idiotic idea when one reflects upon that life gives us all lemons one way or another.


Now I'll be rather forward about this next statement. I heartily believe that the black affirmation movement has considerably increased since President Obama has taken office and that there is a lot of “white guilt” coming into play now more than ever.

In order to adequately display my meaning, I'm going to break the two mentalities at a whole different level. In addition, I am well aware that I'm using the races as “umbrella terms” and that not all white people will believe what I claim as their perspective. The same relates to the black perspective as well. Possibly this tactic may be flawed due to the fact that my ethnicity is white, but since I have discussed this subject deeply with my colored friends who explained their points of view I'm going to attempt at a basic level.


*Note: I am not stating this to sound racist whatsoever. I am simply pointing out the very differences that juxtapose the two races against one another.



From a Caucasian's Perspective:


There is this belief that the nation (because lets face it no where else in the world other than maybe South Africa had to contend with racism as much as the United States) now has to compensate for slavery as an apology, a.k.a “white apologeticism.” I won't say that those of color have more opportunity, but I will state for a fact there are programs that are more accessible to black people than to those of white descent. If I say something to a person of color that's contradictory to what they believe, I immediately become a target to be called a racist and that I'm arrogant. They think we get better in everything, but really what I see is that an employer is more likely to hire a black person nowadays due to their color. In areas where there are a majority of black people, there is a level of animosity and hostility towards white people and often making me uncomfortable and equally hostile due to instinct. Due to black affirmation, anything that occurs to a black person automatically becomes a hate crime, even if it is justified, but the reversal of a black person hurting a white person isn't classified the same. Why?



From a Black Person's Perspective:


Not only did our ancestors endure slavery, but the humiliation of segregation afterward was denigrative and horrendous. We are people just like you, but you treated us like dogs commanding us and calling us words like the N word to make us feel like we're unintelligent. You received all the best, while we received the scraps. We're a community and we stand together stronger than ever. Even now, white people receive opportunities such as the better schools and houses and jobs. You hurry to your car when I walk down the street and make sure to let me notice that you've locked it because you think I'm going to break into your car. Why should I even try to be nice to white people when they just typify me by my color and treat me like dirt?



Of course those are just attempts at conveying the generalized statements from two sides of a story over the years. There are going to be more underlying issues that occur within those perspectives, but I tried to cover the major points of contention that both races have with the other. In simple terms, we set one another up for failure. I have been very blessed to have friendships with many colored people that I value for their ideas and their beliefs, and I find that they can be so sincere and truly zealous in life in most everything they do. Like if you've ever been to a black church, you'll walk out that door at the end of the service literally dancing and screaming to the sky because of how fired up that church gets. It's absolutely fantastic. We have so much to learn from one another....how AMAZING would it be if we could absolutely overcome racism and labeling one another to really converge as a community? I can't even imagine, but I'd love to see it happen in my lifetime.







As a final note, I'm truly asking anyone who reads this to remove their personal emotions and read it based upon the statements I wrote. I really wrote this piece because of how much this subject really means something to me. I know that racism is slowly fading in its own respect, but I still see so much of it that I felt compelled to write a post that brought some few key points to the table. Please feel free to comment and share your perspective....as long as we keep it civil and positive please!








No comments: